YOUR CLUB NEEDS YOU!
• As you will be aware Everyone Active are proposing to stop the Swimming Club from providing lessons.
• This proposal was put on hold by the Council’s Scrutiny in October last year whilst it investigated the issue.
• The Scrutiny released its findings on 10 May, and found in our favour, placing a greater value on the community than EA’s annual profits.
• We now face the Policy & Resources Committee, who are rumoured to want to overturn the recommendation, and then a vote at Full Council.
We need two things:
• Contact your District Councillor
• Attendance at P&R Committee Meeting (12th June 6:30pm at Council Offices)
Attendance at the P&R Committee meeting on 12 June at 6.30pm
Unfortunately, the P&R meeting has been arranged on a Tuesday night, which is the night we teach. The club has therefore had a very difficult decision to make. We feel it is imperative that the committee are made aware of the strength of community feeling. The best way of demonstrating that is by a significant presence at the committee meeting. We feel it is vital that the teachers and DVASC committee members are present at the meeting, along with as many parents, children, family members, past DVASC members and any other members of the community who are appalled by the prospect of losing the swimming club.
The Club have therefore made the difficult decision to cancel the lessons on the night of 12 June to enable as many people as possible to attend the meeting. We know that some parents may be frustrated by this. We are alive to the fact we had to cancel a recent session, and that this is short notice. You will of course be refunded for the missed session. We feel that we have no option but to take this course of action and we apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please, please, please could we ask as many of you as possible to attend the Ryedale District Council Offices to support us. Please bring along your children, so the Councillors will see the people who will be losing out if they vote in support of Everyone Active. Please bring along any family and friends who are willing to support our cause - the more bodies the better!
Ryedale Swimming Club are going through the same process and it is expected there will be a large presence at the meeting from their club. Please help us show the Council that DVASC is just as well supported.
If you wish to ask any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the club or myself on the emails below. Once again, your club NEEDS YOU!!!
Derwent Valley Amateur Swimming Club